Food, food businesses, pubs, cafes and restaurants

Pubs, cafés and restaurants have been told to close their premises due to recent Government guidance, however, some are allowed to sell takeaway food and drink if they have the correct licence, for the time being.

If anyone has information about a pub, café or restaurant that is opening to allow food and drink to be consumed within the premises, then please report these to the council using this email address:

When ordering takeaway food, we would advise residents to order food by telephone or online for delivery or collection at a specific time, and not to congregate at the premises.

Changing food businesses to takeaways and deliveries

East Riding of Yorkshire Council understand that, as a result of COVID-19, businesses may look to change their model and diversify in order to maintain custom and help the community during this time.

The following advice is for those businesses that are looking to make provision for takeaways and deliveries where they have not done so before. A business will only be in a position do this if they are already registered as a food business with a Local Authority.

Advice for changing food business to offer takeaway and deliveries (pdf)

Guidance for food businesses on Covid 19

The UK government has provided further guidance for food businesses on good hygiene practices specifically in response to coronavirus:

GOV.UK - COVID-19 guidance for food businesses (external website)

The guidance covers food hygiene, handling food packaging, cleaning and waste disposal, managing employee sickness and social distancing.

The guidance provides specific advice for social distancing in:

food processing plants supermarkets staff canteens and rest areas takeaways and restaurants/offering pick-up services outdoor food markets/farmers markets.

For latest updates and full schedule of covid-19 info, please go to